Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Chicken Ramen Bowl




Let me tell you, you guys are the absolute best. The BEST. When I posted on my blog's facebook page that I was coming back and about my struggles you were so supportive. It made my day! It also made me more accountable. Today was day 2 of me trying to cook more. As I was driving home from work (late... I have meetings on Tuesdays, got stuck at a broken train, detoured into stand-still traffic, you get the deal) I was so tempted to just throw a frozen pizza in the oven or grab takeout. Habits, particularly bad ones, are not easy to break. But... I didn't. And that my friends is a victory.

Evenings are hard for me. I get home with the kids around 4:30 (5:30 on Tuesdays) and my daughter is in bed by 6:30. That leaves me 1-2 hours to get both kids fed, bathed, etc. This time crunch has been one of the main reasons I've stopped cooking. By the time I unpack school bags, lunch boxes, art projects, and get the kids fed, I just am DONE. But I pushed through, and boy am I glad I did.

This was delicious. Better than I expected quite frankly. I didn't have many of the ingredients in the original recipe (that's what happens when you don't cook for a year!) so I made do with what I had and it was totally awesome. Best of all I got it on the table within 20 minutes. Woo hoo!

Source: Adapted from So Tasty So Yummy

Ingredients:
1/2 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup broccoli
1 bell pepper, sliced thin
2 packets of ramen noodles (I used the soup and just tossed the seasoning packet)
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp garlic teriyaki sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar

Directions:
1- In a skillet heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until light brown and cooked through. Remove to a dish and cover.
2- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon (do NOT drain the water). Add the ramen to the water and boil for approximately 3 minutes.
3- Meanwhile, add the broccoli and peppers to the skillet. Sprinkle with corn starch and stir well. Add the broth, teriyaki sauce, and vinegar. Heat over medium heat.
4- Add the pasta and chicken back in to the sauce. Allow to heat and stir to coat the noodles.
5- Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment